A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Cover design

A cover is always one of those things that requires a lot of attention, so I've started a bit early. I'm not big into action covers, especially for a story like this one, although it's an action adventure, I prefer the posed look because it fits better with the time period. Mike Mignola's Hellboy covers are a big inspiration; I really like the way he combines the characters and environments, and rarely (if ever) does he do action covers with stuff flying at you.

Well here goes, a very rough study form the first round of sketches. (Color varies between my two monitors and between .psd and .jpg, so what you see is not the actual color.)



...and a Catwoman, just for the heck of it. Sometimes I need a break from drawing Rose and Isabel all the time. This was a quick 2"x3" warmup drawing...thought I'd post it...

11 comments:

JN said...

I'm impressed with the drawings and appreciate your willingness to share the process. Good luck with the finished project.

The Moth said...

Shazam!

It's the one-two punch with new drawings! Dig those dark colors for the cover, and the "bloody" part 2 lettering. Maybe you should redo the part 1 lettering for the reprint --?

Moth

Monkeyfeather said...

I'm diggin' the cover composition. Looks like the book is really coming together. Very exciting.

Tonin said...

Nice Catwoman !

And that cover look pretty promising
Keep it up, almost done !

-Tonin

TSM said...

Thanks everyone!

J said...

Cover's looking great. I agree about Mignola's covers. Static, graphic and ornate.

oliver said...

awesome works! you have a developed style and great sense of aethetics. Love to see that cover when it all completed.

Mitxo said...

I just popped into your blog by chance, R&I looks very promising indeed. I'll probably be flying over to America this summer, if so I'll certainly look for a copy of your book if it's already in circulation.
Here's a curious question about one of your links: I've recently read "The Poor Bastard" by Joe Matt. Is "The Beguiling" in his book the same you've linked ?

Mike Thompson said...

Looks spiffy to me! Again, I can hardly wait.

TSM said...

thanks yall.

mitxo -yes I believe it's the same Beguiling...I haven't been there but Joe and maybe some of the other D & Q guys shop there.

-T

RoboTaeKwon-Z said...

I like the cover comp and love the Catwoman! Very cute! and a very unusual point of view!