A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Monday, April 10, 2006

Home stretch

I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel...32 pages to go in the cleanup phase, then I'll go back and draw panels I skipped over (mostly locations that need additional photo reference). There are so many ideas I'm getting for additional pages (lengthened action scenes, flashbacks and additional story beats) but it's impossible to add them now due to time. When I compile the whole story I'll add these in, but for now it'll be 142 pages of story.

When I'm done I'm planning on posting a breakdown the whole process of creating the two books, from idea to development to layout to drawing the pages, to printing, so be on the lookout for that.

* Also, for those coming to Comic-Con, there will be no E-Ville press table this year. I'll be sharing booth space with the uber-talented Scott Morse and selling R&I 1 and 2 as well as Afterworks 1 and 2. Spread the word!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoooo! keep on kickin-ass!

- shiman

Princessa said...

Great stuff. I just stumbled across your blog, and I'm definitely going to check in on a regular basis now. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ted,

I am anticipating a great book based on the intrigue of your posts. Did you ever consider publishing a 3rd book (an artbook) including "work in progress", breakdowns, "studies" etc? I just visited Studio Ghibli Museum with all their story boards, backgrounds, pinups.

Also, it is kinda of a bummer that you will not have an E-Ville table. I missed the Con last year and I was planning to make one day trip to see you guys as well as the Blue Sky people. It would have been nice to meet the new contributors like Jennifer Chang, Peter Sohn, etc.

cK

MT said...

The new images looks great. I'm really interested in seeing more of how you're working on this book.

Question, are you drawing on 10x15 pages or building it by panel? Can't wait for the next book.

-Mike

C.Bryant said...

Ted....felicidades por tu blog...puse un link en Perejilpuntocom.

Saludos :)

TSM said...

Thanks everybody!

Charles - I was planning an artbook for a while, but it's now on the back burner. You can see the cover here :Rose and Isabel Companion

Yea, it's kind of a bummer that there's no Eville table, but some of us Pixar folks will be there at various locations.

MT - About 1/3 of the book was laid out on paper, the rest is digital, 8.5 X 7.5".

c.bryant - thanks for the post and link!

Dik Pose said...

Keep rockin it!

The Moth said...

Righteous! Righteous!!

Moth

Mike Barth said...

wow..your stuff is great. i love the feel of your work.

M