A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

SDCC 06

Thanks to everyone who came by the booth this year; it was a pleasure to meet and talk with you all. I regret not seeing more folks around the dealer's floor but as you know, the nearly impenetrable crowds make it hard to get from one end of the con to the other. Attempts to navigate through the hordes of people in the "media center gauntlet" were at times herculean tests of endurance and willpower.

Some of my acquisitions included a Mignola page from 3rd Wish, art books by Henk Kuijpers (awesome stuff reminiscent of Yves Chaland and Daniel Torres), prints by Kevin Dart and Chris Turnham, and lots of cool sketchbooks from fellow artists and animators.

E-Ville press has already secured space for next year, so it's time once again to start producing new material; I'm hoping to expand the Rose and Isabel world a bit beyond books, so I'm thinking about creating some prints for the next show. The new western book I've been posting about recently will be titled CORA, and will be the first part of a sequel to Rose and Isabel, taking place 18 years after the end of R&I2. E-Ville is also getting ready to get the ball rolling on Afterworks 3.

Special thanks go to Ronnie Del Carmen and Jamie Baker for plugging the books as part of their shopping lists they posted last week. Thanks guys!


From left to right, Jim Mahfood, Jeff Pidgeon, myself, and Susan Wright (Scott Morse was just to the left of Jim, painting away).

9 comments:

J said...

Hey Ted. When is R&I2 going on sale vi the internet? I'm looking forward to getting a copy.

TSM said...

Hey James, I'll have the buttons up this week. Keep an eye on the sidebar on the right, the buttons will appear there. Thanks.

-T

Emma said...

Hey, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed R&I2. Reading them both together, the first one is very much a setup for the second, it seems - I felt like the first one was a fun read, but the second one drew me in, made me think of R&I as seperate characters, totally distinct emotional beings.

So... yeah. That's all... and thank you for your words of advice on my storyboards (I was the girl with the chicken sequence in my portfolio).

Rob A. said...

What a great booth! I hear there were even more people than last year! Next year.... Next year.... Can't wait to order my copy of R&I2. I've been dying to find out what happens.

Luxo Jr. said...

Sounds like you all had a great time! Can't wait for R&I2 to be available for purchasing online. I am very excited to read it.

John Nevarez said...

Hi Ted! Damn, I'm sorry I missed you at the Con. Looks like you guys had a great time! Definitely going get R&I2. Hope you are well. Talk to you soon.

John

Monkeyfeather said...

Good to finally meet you in person Ted. R&I 2 was great. Looking forward to the western.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ted,

My name is Régis and you probably don't remember me. I mentioned that I am a story artist on the feature "9" based on the short film by the same name. Anyway, it was great to meet you and talk to you for bit. Rose and Isabel truly feels like a film to me. The characters drew me in right away and the story is just very moving. Thank You so much! Also, it's great to hear that you are doing a sequel to it. Very exciting indeed. Oh, and, of course, Conomor and Tryphine was fantastic. It's surprising how well your style works in both grayscale and colors. Again, it was really nice to meet you and keep on blogging! I very much enjoy your posts on story on Current Flavor.

Régis

The Moth said...

Sweet!

It was indeed an exhausting con! Glad we could bathe in the coolness that was your booth. And of course, the completion of the story rocked!

Soon -- we shall find out who Cora is.

The Moth