A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Painting Rose and Isabel

After busting my hump on 225 pages of linear art for rose and isabel, I'm looking to try something a little different. I've never been much as a painter, so this is the challenge I've made for myself. As those who read the Current Flavor blog know, I really like the work of 40's and 50's illustrators such as Joe DeMers, Joe Bowler, Coby Whitmore, Al Parker, Jon Whitcomb, and others. The eventual goal is to create digital paintings in those styles and hopefully to learn a lot along the way. I'm going to expose my mediocrity as a painter by posting an initial rough composition for a R&I piece. I'll be posting my progress (hopefully it will be progress) during the next couple of months.

8 comments:

Monkeyfeather said...

Ted, this is GORGEOUS. Really like this direction.

Luxo Jr. said...

Fantastic Ted! Can't wait to see more.

craig said...

wonderful. Can't wiat to see more

Jakob Westman said...

That piece is outstanding already.
Love what you did with their hair!

Jamie Baker said...

Hey Ted, I have been wrestling with painting myself lately. You look as though you are doing a better job of it, though!

MANDREWS said...

Gawd dammit! Your too good bastard.

Mandrews out

Bryan said...

Hey Mr. Mathot,

Forgive my presumtuousness, but you mentioned that you were having a time with Photoshop and trying to 'paint' with it.

I have struggled with the same problem for years. Photoshop lacks the organic muddiness you get when you work with real media.

Well, then I stumbled upon Corel Painter IX.5 If you are not using this program... give it a shot. They offer a 60 day free trial, and I bought it before my trial was over!

It does an incredible job blending colors depending on the paper type and media you select! I could go on...

Bryan

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Mathot,

Forgive my presumtuousness, but you mentioned that you were having a time with Photoshop and trying to 'paint' with it.

I have struggled with the same problem for years. Photoshop lacks the organic muddiness you get when you work with real media.

Well, then I stumbled upon Corel Painter IX.5 If you are not using this program... give it a shot. They offer a 60 day free trial, and I bought it before my trial was over!

It does an incredible job blending colors depending on the paper type and media you select! I could go on...

Bryan
boynamedjonas.blogspot.com