A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bernet and Brushes

I have been constantly turning to "TEX - L'homme D'Atlanta" by Jordi Bernet for inspiration; his drawings have a looseness and accuracy at the same time which I can't get enough of. His interplay of light and shadow is fantastic, as are the compositions, and...well, basically everthing about it is cool. I've been playing around in Photoshop a bit to get a digital brush that feels more natural to me and thanks to Mr. Bernet's work, I've been getting closer to the mark. I was also given a different type tip for the Cintiq pen which feels more like scratching on toothy paper; I kind of like it so far. Experiments will continue...here's the first.

10 comments:

RoboTaeKwon-Z said...

Hey! That looks great!
Bernet is a favorite of mine too!
Can you show me how to make that brush?

OV! said...

T,
very cool man. i like the look. i use a similar brush for my LUNCHBOX comicstrip. and my storyboards. i agree with what you said about loosness and control.
looks sweet man, keep it coming...

also, ive used that toothy tip you mentioned, but that thing wears out like pencil..weird.

>oVi

The Moth said...

Boy, that is a sweet drawing. I indeed see the scratchiness you're going for -- nice!

Moth

Mr Scribbles said...

Great stuff Ted. I think I'll be dropping by for a visit to check out those brushes. (I also want to ask about pen tips.) Can't wait to see more of Cora.

Monkeyfeather said...

Oh, I LIKE this. Bernet is one of my all time favorites and it wasn't too long ago that I "discovered" him.

New tip for the cintiq pen?

Love this direction

TSM said...

RoboTaeKwon-Z - sure, man. drop on by.

ov! - thanks -- the toothy tip is weird...trying to get used to it.

moth - thanks man!

mr scribbles - thanks...drop by and I'll show you some Cora stuff.

monkeyfeather - thanks! yep, bernet rules!

-T

Marcelo Braga said...

Real cool. You can feel some difference.
Wanna see more!

marcobucci said...

Very Cool.

tonci said...

bernet is awesome, but tex isn't one of the better things he did - manuel auad recently published a great monography about him which covers his whole carreer, might wanna check that one out.

TSM said...

thanks guys

tonci - i have that one -- it's awesome.