A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Monday, February 05, 2007

CORA page 17

Here's a rough page from early in the book. I'm trying out some color stuff and I'm liking the contrast of warm balancing cool on the same page. I'm also trying something that was pointed out to me in a brief color demo by Ronnie del Carmen, and that's laying in solid blocks of color for each panel before getting into the finer details. I put down red, orange and yellow for the first 3 panels, and then intense blue for the last two. Seeing color flow as simple solids makes things a lot clearer to me. This is not something I would normally do and that's part of the reason I'm doing a color book...to try new things.

13 comments:

J said...

Wow. That's looking great Ted.
I'll have to swing by and see what else is going on.

Luxo Jr. said...

Lovely work Ted! I love the guys face with the KRRKKK. Keep it up!

Monkeyfeather said...

WOW! This looks GREAT. Love the nightime blue panels especially. Just an idea... you might want to try adding some cooler tones to the figures (mainly on Cora) in the warm panels. Might tie the page together even more. Just an idea. Great looking page sir.

Rob A. said...

I like the choice of using the cooler colour behind her in panel 3 as she crunches the head. A strong contrast between the action and space. Helps to make it visceral.

RoboTaeKwon-Z said...

This is great. The color really supports the action and the mood. I like the new brush too!

Nick Sung said...

Hey, that's great Ted!
I'm sure the book's gonna look really good.

TSM said...

Thanks everyone!

monkeyfeather - thanks for the color input --- I will try that. (The character is Rose actually...I will make it more apparent that it's her in the clean up).

The woman waiting outside for her is Liz Caster.

craig said...

Hey Ted,
Great page. Really like the way you integrated some of the warmer colors into the blues. Really ties the room together(as the dude says)

Monkeyfeather said...

Oops sorry Ted. It looks like Rose, I just typed incorrectly.

andy said...

Looking really good Ted! I really like how you used the intense warm interior lights against the cool outside on the forth panel, really helps connect the inside to the outside :)
Can't wait to see how the final product turns out!

cidin said...

hi
my name is alcides junior
i'm brazilian
i found very nice and very cool your work
god bless you
bye

alcides junior
www.cidartblog.blogspot.com

Tim Mcburnie said...

Those colors are fantastic, very inspiring. I'm keen to see the finished result but even this level of detail conveys a lot with the added color for mood.

Marcos Mateu said...

Beautiful color, beautiful page!