A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Homework

Here are a couple of books I'll be reading for reference while I write and draw CORA. The first one (A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier) I spotted this morning on the Chronicle's home page of news stories -- the storyline grabbed me immediately, first because of its subject matter and incredible reception among reviewers and second for how it might contribute to further backstory for Rose and Isabel that has not been depicted yet (CORA will will be told in several interwoven time periods, from the time of Adam, to the birth of Rose and Isabel in 1842, their early childhood, the later War years 1864-1865, to the time between the Rose and Isabel book and CORA [1869-1888] and beyond).



The second (Battle for the Mind: A Physiology of Conversion and Brain-Washing) I found after a search for well reviewed books on the topic of coercion, persuasion and brainwashing which, at its center, will be what CORA is about. There is a well known mantra among writers to "write what you know", but in this case I am writing about what I don't know but plan to place characters that I am now very familiar with into situations that will further define them.



I can't express how much this kind of research helps me. It helps expand my knowedge of subjects that I may have a narrow or generalized view of. Research not only makes our work better, but helps us become more learned as well.

1 comment:

OV! said...

T,

right on. the new world order....


>oVi