A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Catty for a cause

UPDATE: Progress shots and final piece now added.

Ok, so I lied. The sketch a few posts down isn't going to be the eventual piece up for auction, but rather this one here:

This is the digital sketch for the actual auction piece. I wanted to do something that was a bit more familiar, plus I'm a Catwoman fan. I'm inking it now and wrestling with a way to color it in the hopes of somehow coming close to the sketch below. I consulted a couple of the guys here at the studio and got some really great information on their process and how they approach a piece. This image could be the beginning of a long road back to traditional media for me which I'm excited about.

The auction is this Saturday, info is here.

Digital sketch:

Here are the process shots:

This first one I was experimenting with watercolor and acrylic. The watercolor is on the right and is just a test section of the couch. I felt it was lacking intensity color wise. On the left side is the acrylic; I liked the flatness of the tones, but since it's opaque, I would not be able to trace off the ink lines on the light box. It would require either a transfer of the drawing or a "winging it" approach, recreating the drawing by eye. I didn't feel comfortable with either of those options at the time, so I went for test two.

The second test was done with Tria markers; they're alcohol based and would easily pull up the ink into a muddy mess so I laid down blocks of color first and then inked over it on the light box. The problem with this was it was hard to see the ink lines through the darker areas (such as the purple on the couch). Again, I liked the flatness of the tones.

This third test is what I eventually went with; a combination of watercolor and Dr. Marten's concentrated water color. This turned out to be the best way since I could ink the drawing on the light box, then watercolor directly over the ink lines. The concentrated watercolor added the intensity that I wanted. The major issue here for me was the toothiness of the paper...it didn't have enough to grab the liquid and it tended to pool in areas, got pushed around by the brush, and eventually dried uneven. So for this technique, that is the area that needs a bit more exploration. The concentrated water color also dries very fast which makes gradients and transitions tricky.

Well, the final turned out a LOT different than the original digital sketch...this was the first actual traditional color media work I've done in a very long time and I learned a lot from it. It was definitely not easy and there were a couple of times when I thought I was going to bail out of the whole endeavor. But it's done and I'm happy with it.


Friday, September 21, 2007

Ring Girl

Ring Girl I did for Sam Hiti's Fist-a-Cuffs blog.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Study for new R&I cover

I've been wrestling with compositions for the cover of the upcoming European release of Rose and Isabel. Here's an in progress version that I'm starting to like, inspired by Mignola and Stewart's cover work on BPRD. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Auction piece: Work in Progress

I've been roughing out a number of compositions in the hopes I'll arrive at one that I like. This one is on its way, a portrait of Rose and her pal Liz who make quite a duo in the Cora story. Once I get the drawing right, I plan to do it up with actual ink, frame it, and get it on the wall at Maverix before the 29th. More info about the auction can be found here.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Upcoming Auction

Esther Pearl has been working with the fine folks at Maverix Studios to organize an art auction to benefit the Alzheimer's Association later this month. As many of you who read this blog know, the Maverix auctions are first rate affairs and always have a wide variety of cool artwork available to bid on.

I am going to try my best to provide another traditional piece for the show. I hope all the bay area folks will come by to bid on some great artwork for a good cause.

Art Auction benefiting the Alzheimer's Association
Saturday, Sept 29, 6-9pm
Maverix Studios
1717 17th Street
San Francisco

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Cora Banners

I'm in the process of making some vertical banners for next year's conventions all the while attempting to come to some sort of final design for the new main characters. Here's Cora: