A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Monday, February 18, 2008

CORA look test

I'm still trying to put together a look for the Cora book, and now that I'm seriously behind schedule (due to new computer problems at the studio space), I'm trying out styles that will allow me to move fast but still retain a level of quality in the pages.

Below is a panel that will (most likely) be indicative of the style of the book. I'm trying to keep the drawings loose and spontaneous as well as to have a better balance of black and white than R&I did, while being a bit more refined than R&I in the linework.

This was drawn in photoshop with an elliptical brush that has a rotation on it. It feels more like an ink brush which I like because it makes calligraphic marks and gives me more thicks and thins in the lines.



More:

12 comments:

David Bernal said...

Awesome!! love the ones on the post before this too! can't wait ;)

Gunt said...

I've just read the "Rose and Isabel" french edition, and I found it fantastic !
The narration is really amazing... I can't wait for Cora ! :-)
(Will it be published in french ?)

samacleod said...

Beautiful man.

bannister said...

oooh, in color ! Nice !
That works great for me. I like it a lot.
How many pages do you plan to do ?

TSM said...

Thanks everyone!

Gunt - I hope that it will be published in French!

Bann - It will be 64 pages if all goes well...

John S. said...

I like it!!!!!

Jamie Baker said...

Those look really superb, Ted. BTW congratulations on your successful European tour.

bannister said...

Cool ! Can't wait to read it !
Finish it for SDCC so I can buy it !!
;-P

Mr Scribbles said...

These look fantastic Ted! I think you made some good compromises, it's really working! I can't wait to check it out when you're done.

Randeep Katari said...

This looks beautiful.
Great work.
R.

Monkeyfeather said...

This looks great Ted. I dig the loose inks, I think the colour is subtle, but tells a story, and like all great westerns, this has some wonderful wide open spaces. Really nice work. Excited to see the finished product.

Anonymous said...

I really like this sequence from the character shot in 1st page to the pan landscape in the 2nd page. Also, nice color selection using olive green as allows you to focus on Cora. Natural grass green would have been too much.

cK