A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

CORA almost done...

Two weeks to press time and I have to say this has been a lot more difficult than I predicted (and this is only book one...). Well, "if it isn't a challenge, it isn't worth doing" is a motto I remind myself of often. These kind of ventures shouldn't be easy; they're learning experiences that prepare us for what comes next, essential in a creative person's development (there's nothing wrong with taking an easy gig sometimes to pay the bills...I'm talking about artistic expression).



The color has been a lot of fun but very trying at times; color decisions I make one day sometimes look awful the next. If I make a color change earlier in the book, chances are it will affect a color choice further ahead. Everything is in a state of flux but now that all the pages are cleaned up, I can work all the color at once.

Crafting a story in color like this in multiple parts is tricky because each volume has its own color arc as opposed to the whole story having one single arc. I'm trying to think in those terms, but I don't want the first book to be entirely desaturated to set up the rest of the story. The books need to stand on their own as well.



There will be much more story to tell in the upcoming books; this first volume is essentially the set-up to the larger story, much the way part one of R&I was. It's the first fifteen minutes in film terms; the exposition.
_____________________

16 comments:

Ed T. said...

Great style, I like the monochrome color schemes you use, kind of noir or something. Any tips for a newbie novelist? Do you write the story first and then kind of storyboard it out with basic pictures?

http://justmemyselfmine.blogspot.com/ said...

hey I literally stumbled on your blog after setting up mine. This looks really cool and interesting! Be assured, i will be reading the progress of your project. Now i am going to settle down and read your archives.
Happy blogging and good luck!

Tobias Schwarz said...

nice, just had a look at your other comic. will have to order it now. looks great!

Jennifer said...

Very cool blog! I am not a comic book or graphic novel reader at all, but Rose and Isabel looks awesome. I may have to order it!

Bonnie said...

"each volume has its own color arc..."

that's fantastic.

Melodieann said...

Just found your blog. Fascinating! I love comics and graphic novels so I will definitely be following your progress with this.

bannister said...

Very cool , that looks promising ! That's a great amount of work you provided !
Can't wait to read it. :-)

flaviano said...

love the second frame were Cora run! it would be great to have a steadycam follow her from close distance.

Susy said...

I happened upon your blog and saw that you worked at Pixar So I am going to ask a goofy question. I used to be a roulette dealer in Lake Tahoe and I met a guy named Doug Shepek and He gave me his card. I thought it was great to meet someone who at the time had done Toy Story. Any ways 2 kids later and many Pixar movies we always love to look for his name at the end of the credits. If you know him please tell him we are still great fans. Now I will give your blog a bit of reading Thanks

Ted M said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.

ed t - The best advice I have for aspiring comics artists who want to do their own stuff is to jump right in and get that first book done. You will learn a LOT and prepare you for the next one and so on.

I don't do any writing ahead of time, but I have pages of notes and a very rough outline. I jump right into layout because I want the books to be fast and spontaneous. It's easy for me to get bogged down in working and re-working pages, so I try to avoid that and let it be an organic process. Trust your instinct.

yuki said...

It is splendid blog. I am studied.
Please link to this site.
http://yuki-nailart.blogspot.com/

J said...

These look great Ted. Love the unity in these panels.
Can't wait to get the finished book.

Author Elle Febbo said...

I LOVE IT!
Best of luck to you with this project...I smell SUCCESS.

I really do.
Elle

Amelia's Diary said...

I accidentally stumbled on this blog and freaked out.. My sister's name is Rose and my name happens to Isabelle lol;;;)

Paul G. Eberhart said...

I am new to the blogosphere. I've learned quite a lot from your site.

Keep up the good work.

Take a look at mine and send some critique.

www.commonresolve.blogspot.com

Jack said...

Great