A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rory Root 1958-2008



Rory was the founder of Comic Relief, "The Comic Bookstore" in Berkeley. The first time I stepped into Comic Relief after relocating to the bay area in 1999, I knew right away that a lot of care and knowledge was put into the selection of its inventory. The store had personality, character, and a uniqueness that you find only in the best book shops, and that's all because of Rory Root. Thanks Rory. You will be missed.

Check out the Comic Relief website for more information on Rory and his achievements.
_____________________

10 comments:

R2K said...

: )

Joe Gelb said...

sick blog!

This Fat Chick said...

Visited Berkeley for a short time about two years ago... Felt at home immediately. Who knew you could fall for a place. Totally enjoyed that trip down memory lane...

Monkeyfeather said...

Sad news indeed. Probably the best comic shop I've ever been to. Didn't know him personally, but I hear nothing but nice things. Terrible loss for the community.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I did not know that he passed away. I know that he was not in good health in recent years.

Rory has been a big supporter of the independent comic movement with guys like Clowes, Ware, Tomine, Sala, Hernandez Bros from the beginning. When the self publishing movement started in recent years, I seen him direct his customers to Flight, Afterworks, and Scott Morse's books.

He will be missed.

cK

Annes Aeon Lane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mystical Diva said...

Great, great stuff. I am sending this link to lots of my friends!

allaboutattitude said...

hm.. sad day

Open air said...

Very nice...like the photo too...

endoftunnel said...

Thank you for your tribute to Rory Root. I came to think of him as a friend over the years, and he will truly be missed.
Check out my hub at Online Paid Surveys