A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Monday, December 01, 2008

ROSE 1888

I'm still trying to figure out what 46 year-old Rose is going to look like in the Cora story...here is one of the many designs I've tried so far. I'm not happy with any of the ones I've drawn up to this point and I feel it's going to take a significant amount of outside-the-box inspiration to find what I'm looking for.

I've been questioned several times about Rose and her role in the new books, which I haven't said too much about other than 'she will be back'. The image below is probably more what she'll look like during the "Wild West" era, around 1876 or so, pieces of which will be shown throughout the Cora story.

Once I find what her look will be, I won't be posting it here. That will be a surprise to be revealed in book 4 or so.

9 comments:

Anthony Holden said...

A lovely drawing, though. Great exploration.

the doodlers said...

It is a fine drawing. However I think speaking from experience-guess I'm vain that way (^_^), that a someone over 45 doesn't have to show lots of wrinkles. She could show her age more as an attitude...

Ted M said...

Anthony - thanks!

doodlers - I completely agree; this is just a work in progress. Rose will have been through a lot by the time we meet her & there is no doubt it will show on her face, whether it be physically or through attitude.

Evan Bonifacio said...

Sweet sketches here!!

Sheila Stephani (Soejono) said...

Hi Ted!

Just wanna say thanks for getting it ublished in France I've been having difficulty getting a PayPal account and when the french edition came to Labyrinth I was happy. Needless to say, awesome comic, and is Cora coming out in bande-dessinee format?

Ted M said...

Evan - thank you!

Sheila - thanks and book one of Cora is out in France right now!

Omar "OX" Rodriguez said...

love the darker/more towards grey colors...shows her age well.

kalonji said...

its not so bad ...but she definitly miss a attitude.

Vincent Juanes said...

Good work, I like your illustrations!
Best regards!