A miscellany of weekly ramblings on comics, art and film by Ted Mathot, storyboard artist and writer/artist/self-publisher of graphic novels and comics
______________________________________________

Monday, March 15, 2010

Recommended reading :: Invisible Ink



I participated in Brian McDonald's Invisible Ink story class in 2006 and was surprised and excited at his refreshing take on how to craft better stories. He approaches storytelling and story structure from different and illuminating angles in his class and now his insight has been published as a book. Brian isn't afraid to introduce new ideas and has a very straightforward and honest approach, which I'm a big fan of. I could go on, but for now I'll say get it, read it, and put it to use.

A quote from Andrew Stanton:

"Writing stories is hard. They are stubborn by nature. No matter how many times you master one, the next story is obligated to conceal its faults with an entirely new disguise. Your only recourse is to keep writing, while concurrently increasing your understanding of this deceivingly simple, yet highly complex, organism we call story. Brian McDonald's insightful book does just that. Somehow, Brian has found yet another fresh and objective way to analyze how great stories function, and emboldens you to face the challenge of scaling whatever story mountain looms before you. If I manage to reach the summit of my next story it will be in no small part due to having read 'Invisible Ink'."
-- Andrew Stanton


Check your local stores and if they don't have Invisible Ink, ask them if they will stock it. You can also order it though Amazon.

9 comments:

Patty said...

Thanks for the book idea, I'll definitely check it out.

Will J said...

Thanks for the tip, Ted! I can't wait to give this one a read now.

crum said...

I was just introduced to your blog by a coworker. I am in awe at the amount of fabulous insight, tips, and inspiration I've come across already in your blog. As a (sort of) young storyboard artist and aspiring writer etc I am so happy to have the opportunity to learn from you and some of the people you have learned from.

Thanks so much.

Jamie Baker said...

I agree, this is a super book.

John S. said...

I bought it and read it upon your reccommendation. It is amazing how much great information is packed into this slim volume. Go buy it folks!

Jaime said...

Your work is an inspiration for me, I´m very glad to have been found your blog. Congrats.

pbcbstudios said...

Hey Ted -

that is a great book!

you should also check out if you haven't already - "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life" by Ann Lamott.

A really, really great book and an easy read too.

Let me know if you have any others!

MikeS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quentin Lebegue said...

I just finished reading the book and indeed, it has been very helpful ! Get it !